Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Abdel Moneim Mahmoud: Proper Payback?

Hi Everyone!

This is another old story, this one is from 2007. This one caught my eye because I was wondering if something may come about it soon in light of the Muslim Brotherhood having majority control of the Egyptian parliament. It’s about a blogger, like Leslie and I, named Abdel Moneim Mahmoud. His is just another story of a blogger/activist to be interrogated, tortured, and imprisoned. Through his online blog he helped expose crimes of the Egyptian Ministry of Interior. After his abduction and torturing, Abdel was not silenced. Once released, he continued to post and he became a living example of the inhumane activities of the Ministry. His story is very straight forward. He spoke out so they tried to silence him, it didn’t work, they continued to try and silence him, and it still didn’t work. What I want to know is if reparations will be paid. Abdel was a living symbol for the need for change along with being a Muslim Brotherhood activist. Now that they control parliament will Abdel be reimbursed somehow for all the pain that was cause to him and his elderly, sick, parents? After all, Abdel did a lot for the Brotherhood. Everything he did acted as a double for their cause. Not only were his actions positive for the Brotherhood but they helped bash the current, corrupted government. So my question to you is what should/will happen with Abdel? Will anything? What would it be like if he were helping the American government and we freed him?

Thanks for reading so until my next post bye.

-          Mike

http://anhri.net/en/focus/2007/pr0415.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,
    I happen to personally know Abdel (Moneim), through very strange chance happening. I met him a few weeks ago when he was in the US doing some traveling with a group of leaders from Egypt. He is one of the most interesting people I have ever had the opportunity to meet. He loves his country very much and is brave enough to continue to stand up and speak up against what he sees is wrong- even when it means repeated jailings. I believe he told me that he has been detained 3 times for a total length of almost a year of his life (as his friend this all worries me to death...as someone who believes in freedom of speech he inspires me!)

    My hope and prayer is his continued safety while he shows the injustices going on in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete