Friday, May 11, 2012

#ForAlkhawaja

It's been a while.  I know.  School's been tough, and my internship is ramping up.  But have no fear! The Leslie and Mik blog is back! With some news on how you can help hunger striker Abdulhadi Alkhawaja.

Like Frankie Dolan (@frankiedolan), I, too, found out about Alkhawaja's story too late.  And similarly, all I did was blog and tweet about it.  I tried to spread the word, tried to get the media involved, but my actions were limited.  I bought into the stereotypical "I'm in high school, what can I do?" crock that allows people like me to do the bare minimum while still congradulating ourselves on a "job well done".  Well, I'm done with that.  Yes, it's still hard to do things for people you've never met who live on the other side of the world, but I won't let that stop me.

Right now, I'm writing for Alkhawaja.  I'm trying to get the attention of international organizations, celebrities, anyone who has the power to get Alkhawaja released. 

You can join in on Ms. Dolan's campaign, too!
On May 7th he stopped taking IVs (backstory: he had been forcibly fed for a few days prior to this).  No one has heard from him since.  I know that there's a chance he isn't alive, but there's also a chance that he is.  You can write to Alkhawaja, you can write to his family.  Or you can write to organizations, public figures, etc. to try and get them involved and invested in Alkhawaja.

Every bit helps.

Also, he's a new hashtag that you can use to post some positive videos, messages, etc. for Alkhawaja: it's #foralkhawaja.  If you internet savvy people need a refresher on hashtags, just stop by my twitter for a crash course in tweeting.

I'll try to have another post with some actual information on Alkhawaja's wearabouts, but it is difficult when the American media isn't reporting much and other newssources are clearly biased.

Until then, please help me and write to and for Alkhawaja! Go to my twitter or Ms. Dolan's twitter for more information on who to write to (actually go to her's because i'm pretty much just retweeting what she's saying).

Leslie out!
@see_you_sLATER
Please, help.  This is a really big deal.  It's no longer for my school project - that's over now.  This is to help save a man's life.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Leslie, I just stumbled across your blog :-)
    Here's the latest on the campaign for Abdulhaid AlKhawaja http://storify.com/frankiedolan/campaign-to-save-abdulhadi-alkhawaja-of-bahrain-wr it is called #write4khawaja
    I post 5 actions/people to contact each day, to send details of Abdulhadi and ask if they might help our campaign in some way, such as by tweeting about it or sending a letter to the King of Bahrain. You might join us? Are you on Twitter? People are tweeting me their progress as they go along. You can find me on @frankiedolan

    ReplyDelete